The trademark symbol (TM) is a letter that shows that the Word or character that comes before it is a trademark or service mark that has not been registered with a national trademark office.
On the keyboard, Press Ctrl + Alt + T to insert Trademark (™).
Keyboard Shortcuts and Alt Code:
|Keyboard Shortcuts||Ctrl + Alt + T|
|Keyboard Shortcuts with Unicode||2122 + Alt-X|
|Mac Shortcuts||Option + 2|
Copy and Paste Trademark Sign:
5 Ways to Add Trademark letter in Microsoft Word and Excel:
- Symbol Library
- Autocorrect Method
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Character Map
- Alt Code
STEP 1: SYMBOL LIBRARY
- Place the cursor in the text where you want to insert the symbol.
- On the Insert tab, select the Symbol button.
- Choose Special Characters from the Subset dropdown menu within the Symbol dialogue window.
- To locate the trademark sign (TM), scroll down.
- Click the symbol followed by Insert.
STEP 2: AUTOCORRECT METHOD
- Following the previous steps, click the AutoCorrect box; in the Replace box, type (TM).
- Type TM in the “With” box and tap Add.
- When you type ™ in your paper from now on, the trademark sign (TM) will be put there instead.
STEP 3: ALT CODE
- Press and hold the Alt key.
- Type 0153 on the numeric keypad.
- Release the Alt key.
- The trademark icon will appear in your text.
STEP 4: CHARACTER MAP
Windows also offers the Character Map utility, making inserting special characters easy. To use it, follow these steps:
- Open the Character Map by searching for it in the Windows search bar.
- Find the trademark icon (™) in the list of characters.
- Click on the symbol to select it, then click the “Copy” button.
- Paste it into your document.
STEP 5: KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS (Unicode)
To add trademark logo (™) in Word using Unicode:
- Open Microsoft Word and point out your mouse where you want to put the TM symbol.
- Type the Unicode value for the trademark character, which is 2122.
- Press and hold the Alt & X keys and then release both keys.
How to Type Trademark Symbol on Mac?
Method 1: Keyboard Shortcuts
Mac provides keyboard shortcuts to access special characters like the trademark identifier ™:
- Place the cursor at the desired location.
- Press the “Option + 2” keys simultaneously.
- The trademark sign (™) will be inserted into your text.
Method 2: Character Viewer
Mac also has a Character Viewer that allows you to browse and insert special characters:
- Go to the “Edit” menu in your application (e.g., Pages, TextEdit).
- Select “Emoji & Symbols” (previously known as “Special Characters”) from the dropdown menu.
- In the search bar, type “trademark.”
- Double-click (™) to insert it into your document.
Tips for Using Trademarks Correctly:
- Always use the correct trademark symbol (™ or ®) to show respect for intellectual property rights.
- Clearly distinguish between trademarks and generic terms to avoid confusion.
- Use trademarks as adjectives and not as nouns or verbs.
- Include proper trademark attributions when necessary.
To stay professional and protect the rights of brand owners, you must use the trademark symbol in your writing. Windows and Mac make it easy to type the symbol for a trademark quickly. Use the correct symbol and follow the guidelines for using brands properly.
Can I use the trademark symbol for any word or phrase?
No, you should only use the trademark symbol for words, phrases, or symbols that are registered trademarks or have been officially recognized as trademarks.
Is the trademark symbol required for all trademarks?
While it is not mandatory to use the trademark symbol, it is considered best practice to do so, especially for registered trademarks.
What’s the difference between the trademark symbol (™) and the registered trademark symbol (®)?
The trademark symbol (™) is used for both registered and unregistered trademarks. The registered trademark symbol (®) is used specifically for registered trademarks.